Re: [PARPORT] Scanner - Primax PagePartner

Doug Bercich (dougberc@gte.net)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:08:35 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> grant@torque.net said:
> > Capturing traces is an easy task if the parallel port device has a
> > DOS driver. We can run it under DOSemu and use some built-in
> > features of the emulator to capture traces of specific operations.
> > Unfortunately, most of these devices require Win95 - and won't work
> > in DOSemu. Of course, if you have a good logic analyser (capable of
> > capturing a trace of 24 channels at a sample rate of 10MHz for 20 or
> > 30 seconds) you could get a trace that way - but if you can afford
> > something like that, you'd buy the company rather than try to crack
> > their protocol ;-)
>
> Would it not be possible to write a lpt.vxd for Windows 95 that would
> allow a traces similar to those produced by DOSemu? Alternately would
> it be possible to get Wine to produce traces?
>
> JAB.
> --
> Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jab@hex.prestel.co.uk
> Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

The machine does come with Win3.1 software. Let me know if this makes a
difference. I don't have much experience with Wine - at least the
non-potable kind. I'm certainly not aware of how you would have it
load a driver that might help. AFAIK, Wabi handles LPT requests by simply
routing them to the printer daemon - i.e. there isn't any bi-directional
capability.

 Doug
 dougberc@gte.net http://home1.gte.net/dougberc/

** Use Microsoft Word's powerful spill chucking features **
** to crate error free documents. **