Re: [PARPORT] Driver for Syjet?

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 08:18:16 -0500 (EST)

> Hi, I own a linux system that's becoming scarce on resources (my HDD is
> 200 megs total) and so am considering the Syjet 1.5 Gig drive, parallel
> port version (because I can't put a SCSI card on my system--notebook with
> all PCMCIA's full).
>
> I saw on the page for this list that there is an experimental/alpha driver
> for this drive. I was wondering whether this driver is sufficient to allow
> me to mount the Syjet, transfer data from and to the Syjet, run programs
> off the Syjet etc. Also, is this driver a loadable module (I would like to
> use PLIP and my printer still)?

If you have the SyJet already, by all means try the EPST driver. I would
not recommend buying based on that driver, at least at this time.

The driver is available only a loadable module, and has not yet been ported
to the PARPORT sharing system.

If you want stability, I'd recommend looking at one the devices supported
by the PARIDE suite, unless you have other requirements for the SCSI
interface.

Have a look at the SyJet's smaller sister - the SparQ - for instance.