Re: [PARPORT] Re: lpr problems in 2.0->2.1?

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 06:50:11 +0000

> To: Trond Eivind Glomsrod <teg@pvv.ntnu.no>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, linux-parport@torque.net
> Subject: [PARPORT] Re: lpr problems in 2.0->2.1?
> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 18:09:00 +0000
> From: Philip Blundell <Philip.Blundell@pobox.com>

> >For me, that has made the printer _really_ slow - the data is
> >transferred in chunks, so the printer pauses for quite some time a
> >few times for every page, while the same setup prints continually (and
>
> If you're getting worse performance under 2.1 then you should report it as a
> bug. It's not supposed to be like that. If you are actually using a Zip
> driver at the same time then printing speed will go down, but otherwise it
> should be just as good.

The problem is most likely that the current lp driver is evaluating the
parallel port base address every IO access. A similar problem reduced the
speed of the ZIP drive by approx 50% until a port caching scheme was
implemented.

I issued a patch once on the parallel port mailing list once for this
problem. However Andrea Arcangeli is currently the maintainer for the lp
driver.

Note: Andrea is the one who keeps posting lp patches, this doesn't make
him the maintainer. I have enough problems with ZIP drives as it is...

David Campbell