Re: [PARPORT] Re: lpr problems in 2.0->2.1?

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 06:50:11 +0000

> To: chip@pobox.com
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, linux-parport@torque.net
> Subject: [PARPORT] Re: lpr problems in 2.0->2.1?
> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 17:31:56 +0000
> From: Philip Blundell <Philip.Blundell@pobox.com>

> >It's almost as if the lp driver is returning after partial writes when
> >it never used to, and the lprng daemon isn't prepared for it, so it's
> >writing the same data over and over. Did the lp device change in any
> >such way beteen 2.0.33 and 2.1.85?
>
> Not intentionally, but quite big parts of the lp driver have been altered. I
> just looked at the code and couldn't see anything obviously wrong. Can you do
> some more experiments and see if you can figure out what's happening?

The only thing that comes to mind is that the lp driver is returning upon
fault detection instead of the classic "wait and hope it goes away".

The sort of faults I am talking about are:
- paper out
- device off line
- "printer on fire" (check the 2.0.x lp driver for that one...)

I haven't looked at the lp driver code for 6 months, this is Andrea's
area.

David Campbell