Re: [PARPORT] Iomega Zip : MEDIUM ERROR

Junichi Saito (j.saito@wanadoo.fr)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:10:43 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, David Campbell wrote:

>> scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00
>> 10 00
>> Current error sd08:01: sense key Medium Error
>> scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 2, absolute sector 3
>
>This message has come from the ZIP drive via the SCSI mid level driver.
>I do not suspect the driver or the parallel port is at fault. Basically
>the drive has detected an error while reading a sector and reported back
>to the Linux box.
>
>Did you hear the disk heads sweep back and forth when this happened (with
>a "chunk-a-chunk")? This happens when the drive can not read the sector
>after three passes, the head sweep is to correct the head alignment.

I did.

>I used to have a util which when pointed at the device file would tell you
>the health of the disk. Try:
>
>http://www.torque.net/~campbell/sd_life.html and
>http://www.torque.net/~campbell/sd_life.c

Tried it and got the following :

 sda:scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00
00 00 10 00
extra data not valid Current error sd08:00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Defect list not found
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0, absolute sector 0
 unable to read partition table
Format Status
Format type 0x01
Field format count 0x00
Spare blocks after format
Factory Side 0 0x063e
          Side 1 0x062c
Field Side 0 0x063e
          Side 1 0x062c

Cartridge Status
Button status Normal
Disk status Ready
Last sector 0x0002ffff
Bytes per sector 0x00000200
Factory Serial Number dump: 234490022679718302ZIP1 IOM0100E111
Media format type 0x00

Redundant blocks Spare In use
Side 00 0 0
Side 01 0 0

I usually do mkfs.ext2 with -m 0 flag and sometimes delete also
'lost+found'. Does this have something to do with the problem?

I also tried 'dd copy' suggested by A. Cox, but it didn't work neither. I
don't know if I proceeded correctly but all I got was the following :

bash-2.01# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/loop0 bs=1k
scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00
10 00extra data not valid Current error sd08:00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Defect list not found
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
dd: /dev/sda: Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out

I seem to have another disk (fourth) gotten unusable.

junichi.
----
                  Junichi Saito <j.saito@wanadoo.fr>