[PARPORT] Re: strange r/w behavior with 1.40

campbell@gear.torque.net
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:09:59 +0000

> To: campbell@gear.torque.net
> Cc: linux-parport@gear.torque.net
> Subject: strange r/w behavior with 1.40
> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:20:10 -0800
> From: Tim Moore <tmoore@nsr500.Eng.Sun.COM>

> 2.0.32 kernel, /dev/sda, pretty standard stuff. Started w new
> disk, deleted dos partition, made ext2 partition, mke2fs, ended
> up with 31 unallocated sectors, HOWEVER, mke2fs went into
> uninterruptable sleep mode that took several times to kill off.

Huh?? I looked at the file and saw nothing wrong.

> Eventually made it through fsck. Read and write performance
> slow by 5x (except for direct dd from /dev/sda4 to /dev/null).
>
> Autoprobe finds EPP 1.9 (software direction). booted with
> mode = 4, 32bit write. I'll be trying all the mode/PEDANTIC
> combos this weekend, but was wondering if you've any suggestions
> for debug checkpoints. I'm going to try tracing the driver this
> weekend if the boot config combos don't reveal anything. All
> suggestions welcomed.
>
> Under DOS I get about 410KB/s with the same hardware so it's
> probably minor and obvious.
>
> dmesg, bizarre fsck & other in attached.

Is the mke2fs repeatable?

Could you download the qboot_zip.sh from my pages:
http://www.torque.net/~campbell/qboot_zip.sh

Note that this completely reformats the zip disk as a mixed
DOS/ext2fs disk for showing off linux to friends. This script takes
about 30 seconds to run on my work machine (I am on leave for two
weeks).

David Campbell