Re: [PARPORT] Installation problem with parport-980103 for linux 2.0.33

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:11:53 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Rmi Cohen-Scali wrote:

> I tried to apply and activate the parport patch for linux 2.0.33 but get
> the following problems.
>
> 1) In the linux documentation parport.txt, references are made to some
> parport_pc.o module. I can't find it in the patch.

The 2.0.33 patch contains a much older parport than that currently found
in the development kernel. The documentation you refer to is newer than
the patch.

> 2) When I boot up my linux box, the parport devices drivers get the
> printer id [hp laserjet 5L], no problem. But when I try to print a page,
> I cannot have it as the lp driver is telling "waiting for lp to becomes
> ready (offline?)". Of course it is online !

You may find that what was /dev/lp1 is now /dev/lp0. Try modifying
/etc/printcap.