Re: [PARPORT] Programming for the parport.

ccurtis@facm.fit.edu
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 23:18:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Simon Cooper wrote:

> All signs point this way for ParPort information !

I see no traffic headed back to you and Cc:d to the list, so thought I'd
let you know that there are people listening. However, the new kernels
are being primed to go non-developmental and there's a lot of effort
getting things ready for this.

Make sure you read the pages at torque.net and probably the best thing
you can do is start looking at code for other drivers based on parport.
You may find that it's not even related (I honestly don't know).

If you need kernel-level priveledges (remember that you can always just
open /dev/parport0 and start doing stream I/O) you ought to be developing
aginst the new kernels, and not 2.0.33 - there have been a lot of changes
in parport code, and 'development' is probably a better place to start.

You may find it easier to first write the code on a user level, and then
crashes, and somewhat isolate you from the development process.

> is there a 2.0.33 kernel compatible driver that will allow me rd/wr
> access to the parallel port ?

main()
{
        FILE *printer_or_webcam;

        if( !(printer_or_webcam = fopen( "/dev/parport0", "r+" )))
        { printf( "Cannot open parport0: permissions?" );
                return 1;
        }

        [...]

        return 0;