Re: RE (or more questions): [PARPORT] ValueStor problems

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 06:48:13 -0400 (EDT)

> As a DOS user (not yet a Linux user) of the ValueStor, I am pretty
> darn certain that the last time I tried a pair of Seagate ST-3630A's in
> my (newer) 90c26 VSMobile kit

Hmm. This actually raises a related issue. The pd driver doesn't currently
contemplate parallel port external cases with two IDE drives - mainly
because until this mail, I'd never heard of one :-) I'll add support for
dual drive cases to the end of my list.

> (I didn't realize until later
> that the 2nd drive was set as slave, so I'm pretty sure it was left as
> slave!)

If there are two drives on the same IDE cable, the second drive must be
jumpered to slave. This is actually not quite the same issue as having
a single drive jumpered as slave. There is more than just an addressing
difference between the master and slave drives in IDE.