[PARPORT] SMP vs. ppa and paride in recent kernels

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 06:58:24 -0400 (EDT)

In linux-kernel, jdorr@redshift.com wrote:

> I recently built a kernel image for 2.1.97. The kernel boots okay, but
> freezes on the ppa (iomega zip) driver. If I do CTRL+ALT+Delete it gives
> the "Disabling Symetric IO...done"
> message and reboots. I sure hope to see it fixed in 2.2!

Do you need SMP support ? If not, rebuild the kernel with SMP disabled.

I'm not working on ppa anymore, but I recognise this symptom. In fact,
I posted about the same effect in the PARIDE drivers a few days ago.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to SMP hardware, so investigating this
is difficult.

I suspect that ppa and PARIDE will have to excluded from SMP kernels in
2.2 unless some SMP guru can help us out.