[PARPORT] for people with printing problems with 2.1.104

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Wed, 27 May 1998 15:04:59 +0200 (CEST)

Andreas Muck <andi@koala.rhein-neckar.de> said me that he couldn' t print
also in polling mode with my 2.1.104 lp patch when he was using the
SoundScape soundcard at the same time. He was using the parallel port in
ECP (or ECP+EPP), I suggested him to try normal mode and now lp works fine
for him too also when the soundcard is running. So I suggest people that
is having printing troubles with 104 to set EPP mode (that works too) in
the BIOS at least for now.

Here the Andreas' data when its parallel port is in ECP, when the
printing breaks:

<6>parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
root(ttyp9):~ # cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
0330-0331 : mpu401
0332-0337 : SoundScape
0378-037f : parport0
03c0-03df : vga+
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
0534-0537 : SoundScape
0580-0581 : teles3c isdn
0778-077a : parport0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This should be the ECR but I don' t know a lot about
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ECP.
e000-e0be : aic7xxx
root(ttyp9):~ # cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0: 955727 XT-PIC timer
  1: 24751 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  4: 2025 XT-PIC serial
  5: 40476 XT-PIC SoundScape
  9: 2 XT-PIC SoundScape
 10: 21339 XT-PIC aic7xxx
 11: 280 XT-PIC HiSax
 12: 99018 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
 13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
NMI: 0
root(ttyp9):~ # cat /proc/dma
 0: SoundScape
 1: SoundScape
 4: cascade

I will sent to Andreas some debugging patch soon to understand at least if
the bug is in the parallel-port or in the parport code.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli