Re: [PARPORT] Copying to Syquest problem

grant@torque.net
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 07:09:46 -0400 (EDT)

> I dont know if its just my setup....but here it goes..

Unfortunately, you haven't included the information we really need - the
ez messages from your kernel log. It sounds very much like your driver
is getting stuck processing timeouts ...

First, though, you should know that 'ez' is ancient. It was replaced ages
ago by 'ep' which itself has been replaced with the PARIDE suite of drivers.
Where did you find ez ?

PARIDE is incorporated into 2.0.35 - which was released yesterday. Please
get 2.0.35 and build PARIDE with support for 'pd' and 'epat'.

Be sure to send us the messages that appear in your system logs when you
load the pd driver and any error messages from the operation of the drive.

> When I try to 'cp' files to my syquest
> (mounted via 'mount -t vfat /dev/eza /mnt /syquest')

There could be a problem there: Your EZ drive is _partitioned_ and so you
should be mounting /dev/eza1. Because the msdos file system can't tell if
it is mounting rubbish, you might not see anything at first. For sure,
the effects you describe can occur if you try to access files (reading or
writing) on such a mismounted filesystem. (What happens is that the driver
gets asked to seek to ridiculous addresses - off the end of the disk, and
this causes long timeouts ...)

> and if I just let it copy, it goes on and on and on...

What you don't say is whether it ever finishes. The ez driver was very slow
getting perhaps 15KB/s ! With an appropriate port in EPP mode
the new pd driver can do close to 500KB/s (you have to force the port delay
to zero to get the top speed).

Please get the current driver and report back to us.