Re: [PARPORT] at boot... printer goes crazy

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:14:44 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I have not the sources of lp.c here but this your sentence + "lp works as
> module" seems the proof that lp is not the cause of the problem. I' ll try
> myself (if lp make mess with your printer it should do the same with my
> one) this evening on my hardware and I' ll let you know.

I tried 2.1.109-pre2 with CONFIG_PARPORT, CONFIG_PARPORT_PC, and
CONFIG_PRINTER all compiled in, and all that happens is that my printer
resets (which I think is due to parport).

I've got Alan's ac2 patch now, so I'll try that this evening.

Patrick, at what point does the printer start doing things -- is it almost
immediately upon boot-up, or does it take a while?

Also, can you print to the printer normally after it's printed garbage?
What does the garbage look like and how much of it is there?