Re: [PARPORT] Parallel drive as root fs

grant@torque.net
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 07:58:16 -0400 (EDT)

> The disk will boot & mount, but evrery time I boot, e2fsck tells me my
> superblock is corrupt and advises me to reboot. If
> I continue the boot process, everything seems to work normally, but
> after a while (about 10-20 minutes or when I run startx, whichever comes
> first) I get lots of filesystem error messages and the machine
> more-or-less hangs (I can still log in on virtual terminals, but every
> disk access produces error messages and what I assume are
> non-interruptable timeouts, forcing me to power-cycle the machine to
> reboot it)

I need to see:

        - the paride messages from your bootlog. Most systems log
           the bootup messages in /var/log/dmesg or something similar

        - the first few error messages when things start to go wrong
           This may be difficult if the SyQuest disk is your root.

In the absence of sufficient data, some speculative causes might be:
A bad partition table, with overlapping partitions (unlikely I think),
a bad cartridge, a bad cable, a misconfigured parallel port, or too low
a "delay" setting for your port.