Re: [PARPORT] Parallel drive as root fs

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 12:42:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, David Campbell wrote:

>a) ISA bus has a limit of 1 million accesses per second. This means that
> the maximum transfer rate (using EPP) would be 1MB/sec. In practice it
> is more like half this. Using SPP or PS2 mode parallel port reduces
> this by a factor of 4 and 2 respectively. This limit is a fundamental
> brick wall for higher transfer rates.

A linux-on-ZIP could be useful to make a setup for automatically restore a
hd from a backup for a machine in case of hardware problems (put in a new
HD, put the ZIP in, boot from a floppy and you' ll have a configuration ad
hoc to repartition and make a restore (without having to waste time
installing a distribution in the swap partition or having to do other
trick)). In that case I don' t worry about speed, I only worry about space
> 1.4Mbyte.

>b) The ext2fs will panic at the first sign of a low level device error.

What could cause a low level device error with a ZIP? I never got such
problem mounting the e2fs partition as not root partition.

>PS: The only time I would try this is to demo Linux where disk speed is
>not an issue.

Does it worked? I guess yes...

Andrea[s] Arcangeli