Re: [PARPORT] BackPack Cdrom Woes

Stef Telford (stef@chronozon.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:52:07 +0000

grant@torque.net wrote:

> > > Please investigate the CMOS settings for your parallel port. If possible,
> > > change the port to "EPP" mode.
> >
> > Hurmmm, this can be either changed to uni-directioanl (spp if memory serves
> > me right)or bi-directional (which lists at ecp) tried both, but still no joy.
>
> Please get natsemi.tgz from ftp.torque.net/pub. Dave Campbell wrote the
> program in that file - it should set your port in EPP mode. If I recall
> correctly, you just compile the program and run it as root.

yup, your right, got it, ran it , then su'ed and ran it as root. no errors came up

> What _is_ strange, is the exact (and I mean _exact_) same configuration works

> > for the sparq and laser printer. Can this be an undisclosed communication
> > event on behalf of the bantam cdrom ?
>
> That _is_ curious. What mode does the epat driver use with the SparQ ?

it runs fine in either epp or spp (epp is pref. naturally ;) and the laser printer
manages 300dpi..SparQ timings do (done with time command, not the most accurate
but still okay) indicate that
there _is_ a difference between the two bios modes, so there is actually a change
occouring
in the bios level (i would think anyway)

> > just for the record, I can mount the drive under dosemu (97.10), but this
> > doesnt allow me to redirect new dos drives to linux (vice versa certianly).
>
> Good. If all else fails, I'll get you to do some i/o traces for me.

okay, np, just would like this ironed out. Its very strange...everything else
seems to work just fine.I have even tried with/without parport_pc bit, just sends
it into parport_probe which (under dmesg)
explains catn find an IEE-1284 device (the bantam box says it is). Reports the
panasonic printer
just fine (not sure if it reports the SparQ as a sparq though)

> > to the parallel chip (if i am reading the bantam backpack testport utility's
> > output correctly :)
>
> No, that's not what those numbers mean :-(

ahh....thought that might have been too easy/useful :}

> > > 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 31
> >
> > *grimace* hurmm....it doesnt. even when set to spp mode. what would the pcd
> > (using bpck protocol) trythat the pd (using epat) wouldnt (other than the
> > obv. disk geometry stuff). Anything ?
>
> I've forgotten, did I ask you to see what happens if you force the port
> delay to 4 ? Please try this and let me know.

okay, tried it (using the insmod pcd drive0=0x378,0,0,-1,-1,4)...no joy...still
get the error /lib/modules/2.1.106/misc/pcd.o: init_module: Device or resource
busy
(and just so you know, I have checked the parport_pc module to make sure its not
using any other
resource on the system, infact, I have unloaded every other module which isnt
needed,
and pruned down the kernel to its _bare_ essentials :(

> > > (That's the last two digits of its serial number.) 46 is also the
> > > major device number for the pcd driver - there's no relationship
> > > between them.
> >
> > oohh...i thought there was, Okay. If you want i can try and get information
> > out of MicroSolutions about this??
>
> There's no mystery here - the MSI unit number is used to distinguish multiple
> backpack drives on the same port. It has nothing to do with the Unix device
> number. You can put it back to the original number and it won't make the
> slightest difference to bpck.

ahhh...okay...(DOH) i thought that there was a direct correlation between the
number thatthe driver was looking for (in this case number 46) and thats why you
could specify the
major number on the command line. Never thought about the major number applying to
the
linux side.

  Regards,
(and thanks btw ;)