Re: [PARPORT] Mode 1 or Mode 2?

grant@torque.net
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 06:58:46 -0400 (EDT)

> one question: Which mode should I prefer?
>
> kernel: pda: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c3 at 0x378, mode 2 (8-bit),
> delay 1
> or
>
> kernel: pda: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c3 at 0x378, mode 1 (5/3),
> delay 1
>
> Is mode 2 always better than 1 and mode 3 better than 2 and,....

The modes are ordered in terms of the number of i/o operations required
per byte transferred in the block transfer operations. In the precise
case of EPAT, modes 1 and 2 are very close. I'd still consider 8-bit
mode to be preferrable to 5/3 mode unless you have empirical evidence
to suggest otherwise.

You should also investigate forcing the port delay to 0. You should be
able to get around 200KB/s transfer rates in mode 2 with delay 0.