[PARPORT] design question, Backpack floppy tapes

Claus-Justus Heine (claus@momo.math.rwth-aachen.de)
21 Jul 1998 21:22:34 +0200

Hi!

Looking at the paride driver one sees that they do not use the parport
jump tables to address the parport registers?

How import is it to use e.g. "parport_write_control()" instead of
"outb(..., base + 2)"?

Another thing: I need to be able to respond to parallel port
interrupts I get from the Backpack floppy tape drives. However, I
interrupts only when disconnected. So, in principle I could disconnect
and the release the parport, allowing, e.g., the printer driver to
send some data to its output device. But then I don`t get interrupts
any more because my interrupt handler isn't installed any more ...

Guess parport sharing doesn't work too well with floppy tapes. Maybe
one could think of installing the handle with SA_SHIRQ and play some
dirty games.

Don't know.

Cheers

Claus