[PARPORT] PLIP howto?

Ford Prefect (spider@thor.interpow.net)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:24:43 -0400 (EDT)

Anyone know where I can lay my hands on a recent copy of the PLIP howto?
Just got my new HD for the laptop, installed Linux, and want to network it
to my desktop, and the only version of the howto I can find is from '96.
It seems to have dropped off the face of Sunsite too...

If that's a no-go, then does anyone have some hints for me on setting it
up? On my laptop (Gateway Solo 2300XL) the parallel port is detected as
plip1 instead of 0 (It's set that way in the CMOS for some odd reason),
and I enter all the commands like I've seen on every howto page for
networking, however I keep getting transmit errors from the laptop.

Also, how should the parport be configured, I have the option of
Output-Only (Hell no!), Bi-Directional, EPP, and ECP. I don't know much
about these, so I thought it best to ask.

Thanks in advance.

---
Steve Huston - Rowan University Comp Sci Major
New Jersey, USA
PGP Public keys:
DSS/DH 0x0A529FF8 fp: C38F 274B F2A8 CE5A 60A5  A8E9 C7B9 AEDD 0A52 9FF8
RSA 0xC373028D    fp: ADE0 854D 753E EB53  9DFA 5F04 8283 CC99

"And no one sings me lullabies, and no one makes me close my eyes; And so I throw the windows wide and call to you across the sky" --Pink Floyd, "Echoes"