Re: [PARPORT] Philips [portable] DCC175-recorder

Waling Tiersma (waling@baserv.uci.kun.NL)
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 15:09:18 +0200

C. Jaspâh Spaans wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> While cleaning up my desk I hit an old Philips DCC 175 - recorder which
> should be usable as a backup drive; has someone been able to use this little
> thing under Linux?

A number of people have tried in the past to obtain information from
Philips about the DCC-Link's Software- and Hardware-specifications. All
without any success.

I have tried (with Jac Goudsmith, see the DCC-L mailing list...) to
disassemble the driver (DCC.SYS) and studied the io-logs created by
dosemu following Grant's hints.

Combining both sources of information I concluded that creating a
functional driver would be far to complex (and time-consuming). The
DCC-Link is connected directly to the DCC's internal control- and
audio-data-bus. One has to deal with all the functionality of the
internals. Controling coefficients of internal filters, controlling the
internal drive-processor, AD- and DA-converters......

The Hardware of the DCC-Link consists of:

A: On the DCC's side:
I2C-like interface to the Audio-data-stream
I2C-like interface to the DCC's internal control-signals (L3-bus)
together using 10 lines including mass, power and shielding

B: On the PC's side:
IEEE 1284 compatible parallel port (preferable in EPP-mode, also
supporting Nibble mode on sufficiently fast PC's.
The DOS-driver does need an interrupt assigned to the port. Polling mode
is not supported (and impossible???)

Between A and B:
A custom chip (designed by Shuttle Technologies?) dealing with protocol
conversion, DCC- commands...... (EPDCCA)
The PC interface resembles the EPST from ShuttleTech

If you want more details (The disassembly of DCC.SYS.....) you can
contact me by email and I will send you a copy.

Waling