Re: [PARPORT] Microsolutions Backpack CD-ROM Problems

grant@torque.net
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 06:52:02 -0400 (EDT)

> I have a IBM Thinkpad 755C and a Backpack CD-ROM (166700 8X)

Just a warning: both of these specific things have given us troubles
in the past. You may be hitting an unresolved bug with some backpacks :-(

> and linux 2.0.29. I applied the patch on the web site and I recompiled
> the kernel. After some struggle I arrived to a point where at least I
> get some boot messages, but not good ones.

I guess you didn't notice the remarks on the web page and in paride.txt
that suggest building PARIDE as modules first ?

> Below are the messages that I'm having:
>
> paride: bpck registered as protocol 0
> pcd: pcd version 1.03s, major 46, nice 0
> pcd0: Autoprobe failed
> pcd: No CDrom drive found

We need to see the kernel messages that are produced when you load
the module version of pcd with

        insmod pcd verbose=1

Also, please be sure that you did not include the "lp" driver in the
kernel (the Parallel Printer Support option).