[PARPORT] epat pt driver with HP colorado 8GBe parallel port tape drive

Lynton Reed (lynton@alphalink.com.au)
Tue, 08 Sep 1998 14:31:22 +1000

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting mt to work with the paride pt device.
Any advise or comments would be greatfully appreciated.

I have red hat linux 2.0.35-2.

here what happens

insmod paride
    paride: version 1.02 installed
insmod epat
    paride: epat registered as protocol 0
insmod pt
    - the tape appears to rewind -
    pt: pt version 1.02s, major 96
    pt0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 5 (EPP-32), delay 1
    pt0: HP COLORADO 8GBe, master, blocksize 512, 4007 MB

so far so good but then I try

mt -f /dev/pt0 status

and I get

    pt0: HP COLORADO 8GBe, master, blocksize 512, 4007 MB
    pt0: Unimplemented ioctl 0x801c6d02
    /dev/pt0: Invalid argument

trying to run the taper package results in similar errors (and others about
mt_op )

undeterred I tried to

tar -cf /dev/pt0 /testdata # few meg only.

which worked !!!! I was then able to untar and restore these files.

I then attempted a full backup (except /proc )
tar -zcf /dev/pt0 --exclude /proc / # is there a better way ?

but when I try to list the archive get

tar -tf /dev/pt0

    pt0: HP COLORADO 8GBe, master, blocksize 512, 4007 MB
    tar: Hmm, this doesnt look like a tar archive
    tar: Skipping to next file header
    tar: Skipping to next file header
    tar: Skipping to next file header

This may be a combination of requiring a patch and some knowledge of tar here

If you can offer any help advise or similar experiences I would greatly
appreciate your contibution

lynton reed