Re: [PARPORT] HP Colarado 8GB

J Scott Berg (jsberg@indiana.edu)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 12:25:57 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Itamar S.-T. wrote:

> Has anybody used the HP Colarado 8GB drive with paride? Does it work? And how
> reliable is it?

Yup, I'm using one, and it works fine. You have to make sure you do
the following to get decent performance:

1) Set your parallel port to EPP mode (ECP mode is NOT just as good).
2) Use 16K or 32K block sizes to transfer

Also, you should

3) Set the delay to zero (kernel/module command line parameter: see
/usr/src/linux/drivers/block/paride/pt.c for details)

With all this, I get about 300K/s writing (I didn't find point 3 to
have any effect).

As far as reliability, I've heard folks say that the Travan drives are
cheasly made, but at the same time I've never heard about any
reliability concerns in practice. I haven't owned mine long enough to
say for sure one way or another.

Right now the only mt operation the device driver supports is a
rewind, but as long as you're just doing one long backup to the tape,
that's all you need (and you don't really even need that). When I get
a chance I'm planning on putting in some of the other mt operations,
which should be fairly straightforward since they're mostly just
simple ATAPI/QIC commands.

                                -Scott Berg

--
J. Scott Berg                                 Phone: (812) 855-5465
Indiana University Cyclotron Facility         FAX:   (812) 855-6645