[PARPORT] Linux Driver for parallel port

Tom Daley (tdaley@plc.com)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:29:22 -0600 (MDT)

I am new to this list.

I have an old 8051 development system that connects to the parallel
port. The system was in byte magazine in 1984 (I think). It was
originally developed by Steve Ciarcia.

The original software was written in Pascal and ran on DOS.
I think there were delay loops in the code for timing. The
code no longer works because machines are faster now than they
were in 1984.

I would like to re-write the control software to run on linux.

What driver do I need to set the data and control lines on the
parallel port? It looks like the lp driver is married to printers.

Do I need to write a driver for my specific application?

Thanks in advance.