Re: [PARPORT] Flummoxed!!!

grant@torque.net
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:01:45 -0400 (EDT)

> BUT I recently discovered (after some many months) that my Sparq appears
> to misinterpret gzipped files...especially larger ones, although this is
> a pronounced tendency rather than a given. I called Syquest tech
> support who argued they don't support linux. The guy suggested the
> drivers were at fault, but I'm not sure of that.
> Everything works fine in win3.11 with Syquests drivers. I opened a
> brand new cartridge hoping that was all it took. No luck. 'sum' also
> returns errant values when evaluating
> the large gzipped files on the Sparq. The file(s) are fine on any of my
> other drives, both DOS and native linux partitioned....so long as I
> don't try to copy the errored files from the Sparq.

What you haven't told us is what mode the PARIDE drivers are using
and how you have set your parallel port.

Please report on the CMOS settings for your drive, and also show us
the log messages that appear when you load pd with the "verbose=1"
option.

Also, there might be a pattern to the errors. Try to find the smallest
file that fails to copy on and off the drive correctly. Then, use
the cmp utility, or something similar, to examine the nature of the
errors. Do you get lost bytes, extra bytes, incorrect bits, or
some other kind of error ?

What effect does increasing the port delay parameter have (when you
load pd) ?

> Does anyone else have a Sparq parallel port drive running linux?

Hundreds of people :-(

> Am I the only one that is seeing this mystery?

This sort of thing is most often attributable to the parallel port,
or cabling. Do you happen to have a switch box in the circuit -
or is the drive chained behind something else ?

What about the computer ? At least one laptop will do this sort
of thing in EPP mode owing to some missing wiring on the motherboard.

> Should I get a newer paride suite?

It's not a bad idea - as paride has advanced significantly since 0.94
(which I believe you mentioned in your message directly to me), however,
I don't think any of the changes are relevant to your problem.

> Anyone have a clue?

Do you ever get any i/o errors when access the SparQ ?