Re: [PARPORT] Re: IMM driver weirdness.

Philip Blundell (pb@nexus.co.uk)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:53:08 +0100

>So, if I interpret your lines correctly, devices that don't support
>sharing shouldn't use parport? That'd be somehow sad, because the

No, the idea is that even non-sharing-aware devices should be able to use
parport. The only place this currently falls down is probes getting stuck
and I think the way to fix this is for the driver to say "don't expect me to
release the port" and have parport_claim return -ENOTAGAIN or something.

>parport programming interface is quite nice to handle, much nicer than
>pure (poor?) in()/out(). Especially the probing for EPP/ECP is a really
>nice thing to have ;-)

If you use inb/outb directly you lose the advantage of the
hardware-independence that you get from the parport driver. So yes, it's good
to be able to use the parport API for as many things as possible.

p.