Re: [PARPORT] rw hp drive and paride

grant@torque.net
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:15:23 -0400 (EDT)

> Question. I have a HP cd writer (7200 series) that I'm using on a linux
> box running 2.1.122. I ftp'd cdrecord and got the patch for it off of the
> net, but I'm a little bewildered as to how to call cdrecord.
> In other words, what do I put on the command line to tell it that I am
> using a drive off of the parallel port? The syntax seems to be only for
> scsi.

If you have 1.6.1a3 you don't need to do anything special. Start with

        cdrecord -scanbus

That should search all available buses (including PARIDE "buses") and
identify any devices it finds.

Make you have the pg driver installed and the /dev/pg devices created.
You do _not_ need to install the IDE SCSI emulation driver.

If you have no other SCSI or emulated devices, the 7200 will probably
be on /dev/pg0 and cdrecord will see it as dev=0,0 .