Re: [PARPORT] adaptec parport-scsi adaptor T358

grant@torque.net
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:22:13 -0400 (EDT)

> I've a "adaptec parport-scsi adaptor T358", i wonna use this to backup my
> linux-box on tape.
> I can do the following stuff:
>
> # insmod paride

Paride is not required for the t358 driver.

> # insmod st
> # insmod t358
>
> This last step failled and this was written in the messages :
>
> Sep 29 10:33:09 sfinx kernel: t358: autoprobe failed
> Sep 29 10:33:09 sfinx kernel: scsi : 1 host.

Did you make sure that you do not have the parallel printer driver, lp,
loaded ?

> Sep 29 10:33:09 sfinx kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
> dereference at virtual address c0000000

What version of the kernel are you using t358 with ?

Please note that - at this time - t358 is alpha grade code, distributed
_as is_. Work is underway on new PP SCSI drivers, but is proceeding
slowly (for reasons unrelated to Linux).

As the web pages say, the current drivers are not for beginners. They
just are not stable enough.