Re: [PARPORT] parport_ieee1284.c.diff1

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 16:09:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Philip Blundell wrote:

>>Can you perhaps later tell me, when there will be a possibility
>>to put this code in the "official" kernel, for I can send the
>>revised code then?
>
>It won't go into Linus' kernel until 2.3 now. But I'm intending to make an
>add-on patch for 2.2 to provide more parport functionality for those who want
>it. This will probably include the bulk of Andrea's patch as well.

At least the EXCL and parport_lowlevel_irq() should go in before 2.2
because I don' t think it' s a good idea to have two different popular
`struct parport_operations' in the 2.2 cycle. Since we are sure that these
things are needed and they are just implemented fine now, I think they
should go in. Think at binary only/prorietary drivers. What if a parallel
port vendor will implement a parport_vendor parport_lowlevel driver with
the old parport_operation interface ?

The only part of my patch that you can really disagree for 2.2 is the
spinlock stuff that it' s _only_ an improvement that I consider as a code
cleanup, and since I just implemented it (I couldn' t resist) and nobody
reported one problem I am _not_ going to remove it now (at least I' ll
wait for Linus' s request ;-). Having the right number of spinlock make
things simpler also to check.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli