[PARPORT] Re: [patch] Epson Stylus Color 740 & lp irq driven

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:29:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, David Campbell wrote:

>Date sent: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:23:29 +0200 (CEST)
>From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com>
>
>> Finally some days ago I bought a new printer (the one in the subject).
>> The lp in the stock kernel fail to print in irq mode on it. Today I taken
>> the time to understand why.
>
>I think we need to settle on a standard and then declare some printers
>broken.

This is impossible in this case I think, since the way Epson printer works
better broke the specs ;-). I am very interested in _which_ printer will
fail with my new lp code...

I probably put a new flag in, that flag will allow you to choose
trust-irq=1 (this way new printers will fly). The default will be
trust-irq = 0 of course.

>When I lasted modified the lp driver (about 20 months ago, part of the
>original parport work) I was left scratching my head as the printers I
>had access to did not follow the standard timing diagrams (found in the
>IO chipset pdf files, eg NatSemi PC87332).

Hmm I have no such docs, could you send me by email?

>I thought parallel port hardware was strange!

Yes, but no problem, because now it' s strange lp too ;-).

Andrea Arcangeli