[PARPORT] Backpack CDROM

Ken Herndon (kenh@zoomorama.com)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:43:57 -0400

I'm attempting to use my Backpack CDROM to install RedHat Linux 5.1 on
my old PS/2 Model 70. I used Grant's rh5bpcd.img to boot the system,
and it successfully recognized the CDROM drive, but since this version
does not support the microchannel architecture, I could go no further.
I also tried using a boot disk made to support the MCA, and it worked
great, but it does not recognize the CDROM. What I need is a Redhat
install disk with a kernel that includes support for both the Backpack
CD (PARIDE) and MCA.

So, I endeavored to do it myself, but I think I need some help to set me
straight. As I understand it from reading the PARIDE pages, kernel
version 2.0.35 should support the Backpack protocol, so here's what I
did:

I downloaded version 2.0.35 of the kernel and built it to include the
following packages (not as modules):
* Parallel port IDE device support
* Parallel port IDE disks
* Parallel port ATAPI CD-ROMs
* Microsolutions backpack protocol

I then installed the MCA patch (obtained from the MCA-Linux people)
which was created against the 2.0.35 source. I built the kernel and
copied zImage to vmlinuz on my installation floppy.

When I boot the system, the system starts up fine, but the CDROM is not
recognized by the installation program. My questions are: What is the
difference between the boot image that Grant provided (rh5bpcd.img) and
the 2.0.35 version that I built? Is there another patch I must apply to
my source tree to recognize the CDROM?

Thanks very much in advance for your time -- the work you all are doing
is greatly appreciated!

-Ken