[PARPORT] [ANNOUNCE] parport-scsi release 0.01

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:26:56 +0800

I have just uploaded the first pass of parport-scsi (ver 0.01) to:
http://www.torque.net/~campbell/ppa/parport-scsi-0.01.tgz

This is to provide the following for parallel port SCSI adapters:
a) consistent coding between drivers
b) better stability and flow
c) improved development speed
d) smaller code foot print

Currently only the parallel port ZIP drive and the ZIP Plus drive are supported.
I have already performed stress tests on both of these drivers.

A number of small issues need to sorted out for the next release:
a) The SCSI abort and reset routines need a work over, the current routine for
imm in 2.1.x is using a superseeded entry and not the "latest and greatest".

b) The method for obtaining SCSI status and message bytes need to be
changed. Current method is fine for ppa and imm but is unsuitable for the
t348 and t358 drivers.

c) Patches to the "missing parport devices" kernel messages need to be
implemented.

d) Finally something needs to be done about the missing time (post sent to
linux-kernel for assistance here).

I would prefer people to reference this as parport-scsi rather than parscsi
since there is a device called "ParaSCSI" on the market. An alternative name
would be welcomed.

David Campbell
campbell@torque.net

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (documentation needed)
b) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers
c) Start on ParSCSI drivers (75% complete)

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome