[PARPORT] Microsolutions Backpack 800TD

root (root@tartarus.HIP.Berkeley.EDU)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:19:36 -0700 (PDT)

I have a Microsolutions backpack 800td tape drive that I am trying to get
to work. I installed the paride patch to a 2.0.33 kernel and compiled and
everything in this regard seems to have gone fine. I 'insmod paride' and
'insmod bpck' and they both work fine with the follwoing console messages:

>paride:version 1.02 installed
and
>paride: bpck registered as protocol 0

respectivly. However when I try 'insmod pt' the module is not initialized
and the console outputs:
pt: pt version 1.02s, major 96
pt0: bpck 1.01, backpack unit 0 at 0x378, mode 4 (EPP-32), delay 1
pt: No ATAPI tape drive detected

even though my tape drive is connected. Unfortunately, since the tape
drive was given to me by someone without the software and I don't have DOS
in any case, I can't test it in another OS, but it was in perfect working
condition when I got it. I know you're supposed to find the devices ID
and append it to the command (the last two digits of the serial number
where 65) so I tried: "insmod drive0=0x378,0,65", but the the drive is not
even found:

pt: pt version 1.02s, major 96
pt0: Adapter not found
pt: No ATAPI tape drive detected