Re: [PARPORT] Instaling PARIDE drivers for HP 7200e

grant@torque.net
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 06:52:17 -0500 (EST)

> modprobe pcd

The documentation specifically discourages the use of modprobe/kerneld etc,
for precisely this reason.

Please use insmod to load the _three_ required modules:

        insmod paride
        insmod epat
        insmod pcd

> /lib/modules/2.0.34/misc/pcd.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

NB: your module configuration is messed up if you are loading 2.0.35
modules from a 2.0.34 directory.

> paride: version 1.02 installed
> pcd: pcd version 1.03s, major 46, nice 0
> pcd0: Autoprobe failed
> pcd: No CDrom drive found

Notice that there is no indication that epat has been loaded. There is
no dependency on epat that any autoloader can detect. You must either
fix your conf.modules to tell modprobe and friends about epat (read the
kerneld documentation), or load the modules by hand.

> The results are similar the pg driver.

For the same reason.

> I also tried to compiled the drivers inside the kernel, and when booting
> it says:

When you configured the kernel, did you remember to include the epat
module ? Again, it is not mentioned in the log messages you report.