[PARPORT] Bidirectional communication between two PC's

Ian David Braithwaite (c969020@student.dtu.dk)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 13:19:24 +0100

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a bi-directional link between two PC's, using two
parallel ECP ports. One PC is running Linux, the other a research
project real-time kernel.

I've upgraded my Redhat 5.1 (kernel 2.0.34) with the kernel package
from Redhat Rawhide (kernel 2.1.125). The parport driver recognises both
my ECP port and my old SPP port, no problem.

Now I need to set about reading and writing bytes to the port.
As I understand it, the standard "lp" driver only sends bytes (and maybe
reads 4 bit status back?). I would like 8 bit each way, at
ECP speeds.

The user space driver package "ppuser" looks promising, but I need
to compile it. The makefile seems to assume that I've compiled my own
kernel, since it tries to include linux/.config, the Redhat source
package doesn't include this, however. Do I have to compile a kernel in
order to compile the ppuser module?

I hope I havn't rambled too much.
Any comments to the above would be very welcome.
Am I completely mad?

Thanks,
Ian Braithwaite c969020@student.dtu.dk