[PARPORT] Re: Zip Drive Problem

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 09:44:13 +0800

Date sent: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 21:48:37 +0000
From: Trent Joy <archibld@sprintmail.com>
To: campbell@torque.net
Subject: Zip Drive Problem

> I hope you might have time to help me.
> I have a zip drive and RedHat Linux
> 5.2. I have followed your HOWTO but
> still can't get the drive to work. I
> have both the Zip drive and printer
> hooked up to the same parallel port
> 0378. I have 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36
> which supposedly supports the chained
> parport devices. I however can't get
> any kind of recognition of the SCSI host
> adapter in the zip drive.

Ehh??? I have not checked Linux 2.0.36 but I believe that it does not contain
the parport code (for parallel port sharing). It does contain paride which is a
cut back version of the 2.1.x drivers (the parallel port sharing routines have
been dummied out).

> I am loading both the printer and the
> zip as modules. On Kernel bootup it
> says that 0 SCSI hosts detected.

Some of the latest parallel port ZIP drives use a slightly different interface.
For these the drives the ZIP Plus driver (imm) works. Without seeing the output
from the "dmesg" command it is very hard to guess what is going on.

> Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

I should be collecting a copy of RH5.2 this afternoon while I am at the local
users group meeting. There is some work to improve the Makefile that ships with
the ppa/imm driver to avoid the need for the entire kernel source.

David Campbell
campbell@torque.net

Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.

Current project list:
a) Madly fixing up web pages....
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)
c) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome