Re: [PARPORT] IEEE1284

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 08:42:28 +0100

Tim Waugh wrote:

> I'm working on that. My current plan is this:

Ok. I've looked at your patch a bit more thoroughly,
and it would also be quite easy to do what negotiate
does but without negotiation :-)

Another thing: You've already done the IMHO hard thing,
namely doing ECP on a SPP, but surely we want to
use the hardware ECP mode if available?!

At least in my application it doesn't make sense
to use ECP when the hardware doesn't directly support it.
It may not even make sense to use ECP if DMA is not available,
but I'll have to measure that.

> But what if the peripheral changes the channel it talks to us on? It can
> do that any time it likes.

Is the peripherial allowed to do this? I thought address transfers
are only defined in forward mode...

Tom