Re: [PARPORT] IEEE1284

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 17:40:06 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Nicolas Souchu wrote:

> Ok, but we could write SPI functions. I'm pretty sure OfficeJet drivers
> will do SPI-like calls for example.

I'm not sure how writing "SPI functions" really differs from implementing
the functions I described. They're really quite similar, semantically.

> Are all the parport_xxx calls needed by upper drivers if the later always have
> to call all of them in the same way?

High-level drivers (say, an officejet driver) can call the parport_xxx
functions, but only a subset of those are actually necessary:

parport_enumerate
parport_register_device
parport_claim
parport_release
parport_unregister_device

The IEEE1284 functions are (will be) there for convenience:
parport_negotiate, parport_read, parport_write.

Same thing with the 1284.3 functions: parport_open, parport_close, ...

Drivers are not forced to use the IEEE1284[.3] code -- they can write
their own versions if they really need to.