[PARPORT] FAQ/Troubleshooting guide

Robert Napier (rnapier@cisco.com)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:31:18 -0500

Sorry to mail without watching the list for a while, but I'm trying to
find a troubleshooting guide or FAQ. I've read the torque.net page,
Tim Waugh's page, Documentation/parport.txt,
drivers/misc/BUGS-parport, and Documentation/Configure.help. I even
tried looking for the index of this list, and there don't seem to be
any archives.

I have a very simple setup, with a basic parallel card hooked straight
up to the printer (I took all other devices out of the loop) and
2.1.131. The parallel card is in bi-directional (PS2) mode right now,
but I've also tried ECP (its other mode bi-directional mode). It can't
seem to find the printer port:

dmesg:
parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [SPP,PS2]
parport0: unable to get hardware to register IEEE 1284 probe.
parport0: unable to register for probe.
parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
parport0: unable to get hardware to register lp.
lp: driver loaded but no devices found

/etc/conf.modules:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

I've checked the BIOS and the io/irq are correct.

Any pointers? I'm very excited about the idea of setting up my scanner
and tape drive to my linux box, but I'm sad that I can't even print
now... :(

This system (PC/parallel/printer) did work under 2.0.36 without
parport support. It just hasn't worked since I upgraded to 2.1.131 w/
parport.

Thanks!
Rob

--