Re: [PARPORT] Re: [patch] ieee1284 nibble mode

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:30:49 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, David Campbell wrote:

> > Now that for the first time in my life it works I get:

> > ?MFG:EPSON;CMD:ESCPL2,BDC,D4;MDL:Stylus COLOR 740;CLS:PRINTER;
>
> Just goes to show my ignorance of the read back functionality of the
> lp driver.

No, it doesn't. Andrea is confusing status readback with device ID.
Device ID is a way of finding out what a device is and what it can do.
Status readback is (I imagine) a way of finding out why the device is
upset. The kind of thing I'd expect is "Toner low".

> Do we have a program / proc entry which lists the device capabilities,
> I just had a peek around the parport web pages but I could not find
> any reference to the above command or its functionality. I supose that
> if this was to work for most printers then RedHat (and other
> distributions) could automagically create the printer files. I do
> remember someone from RedHat asking for this info...

They were asking for the output of /proc/.../autoprobe, which contains the
above information but prettily formatted.