Re: [PARPORT] Iomega Zip 250MB Drives

Neil Zanella (nzanella@cs.mun.ca)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:02:33 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

The imm 0.18 driver worked with my Zip250 drive and kernel 2.0.36.

The driver works with both 250MB and 100MB disks as I was able to mount

both on my /mnt/zip mount point.

The howto mentions the development of some software for Linux to remove the
file 50ways.exe that appears on both my iomega zip disk and my maxell zip
disk. As far as I understand this file has some built in mechanism to
prevent the zip drive from writing an ext2fs file system to the drive,
making the Zip drive read-only under Linux. So to make an ext2fs file
system I must reboot to DOS, configure my new zip drive under windows (which
frankly I do not feel like doing as I don't care much for windows) and
do something to the floppy to unprotect it.

Please tell me if there is Linux software out there that will unprotect
my floppy, hence making it writable.

Thanks,

Neil Zanella
nzanella@ganymede.cs.mun.ca