Re: [PARPORT] Initialisation of Freecom Traveller CD

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:41:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Luc Krembel wrote:

> > device environments, the PARIDE drivers will not do it automatically. You can however,
> > force a printer reset by doing:
> >
> > insmod lp
> > rmmod lp
> >
> > If you have one of these marginal cases, you should probably build your paride drivers as
> > modules, and arrange to do the printer reset before loading the PARIDE drivers.
>
> which seems to correspond to my problem. However the insmod/rmmod trick
> doesn't solve it!

It isn't strictly true that the above trick will force a printer reset. I
think with 2.0 kernels it may have worked, but with 2.2.1 you might have
more luck with:

        insmod lp reset=1

It was made into optional behaviour when people started complaining about
their printers having to do complicated initialisation sequences for no
apparent reason when they loaded lp.