[PARPORT] How to autoload ppa module?

Tore Reimers (treimers@c2i.net)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:08:24 +0100 (CET)

After lurking around this mailing list + the archives, I have not been
able to find out how to autoload the ppa module, I have a ZIP drive and
printer on the same port.

When I try to mount the ZIP drive:
[[treimers@gemini treimers]$ mount /zip
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda1 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

If I do "modprobe ppa" as root, all is fine, from "dmesg" command:

ppa: Version 1.42
ppa: Probing port 03bc
ppa: Probing port 0378
ppa: SPP port present
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use SPP
ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using SPP
ppa: Probing port 0278
scsi1 : Iomega parport ZIP drive
scsi : 2 hosts.
  Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: D.13
Now I can mount the ZIP drive as a regular user, but the printer is
blocked...

Relevant part of my /etc/conf.modules file:

alias scsi_hostadapter ppa

...I put this in because it was recommended in my Redhat 5.1
documentation, but autoload of ppa module still doesn't work....

Help? Please?

--
Best regards, Tore Reimers             http://home.c2i.net/treimers/