Re: [PARPORT] Can't print after installing PARIDE (2.0.36, sorry)

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:47:02 +0800

Date sent: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:22:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Lewis Perin <perin@panix.com>
To: campbell@torque.net
Copies to: linux-parport@torque.net
Subject: Re: [PARPORT] Can't print after installing PARIDE (2.0.36, sorry)
Send reply to: perin@acm.org

> And now a postscript from the Dept. of Irreproducible Results: This
> morning (after yet another reboot) printing went fine. But when I
> insmodded paride, epat and pd the problem recurred; rmmodding them
> didn't help.

It sounds like you have narrowed down the problem considerably. The
problem could either be the pass through port is not being reset
properly after being used by paride (unlikely but it could be a
possiblity) or the parallel port registers are left in a strange
state.

There are two things to try here, the first would to be power cycle
(turn off and then back on) the SyQuest drive. This should reset the
internal circuitry so that print jobs go straight through. Make sure
you do not have a disk in the drive when you do this (just being
paranoid).

Secondly, I will send you a small C program (off list) to force the
printer port into a known "sane" state (and also reset the printer at
the same time). If we can nail the source of the problem then we can
feed this back to the relevant developer.

David Campbell
campbell@torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.
(also check http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/)
Current project list:
a) Catch up on the ZIP Plus backlog (drive back from waranty)
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)
c) sleep
d) real life