Re: [PARPORT] Dell Optiplex GX1, HP Surestore 7200e and linux.

grant@torque.net
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:36:34 -0500 (EST)

> OK, this works. I now have delay 0 instead. And when trying to write to a
> cdrw I got a lot farther than before, almost 25% of the image (ass opposed
> to 0% before). But it still crashed after a while. However, it crashed
> just as I tried to do something else... is the procedure VERY sensitive
> (ie should I not use the computer at all while burning)?

Probably not - especially if it's not a very fast machine.

> Could I set the mode to something else (5?) with this lilo.conf
> append-command and would it help me?

yes, and no. The driver would just fail the self-test and not load.

> > It depends on what chip is actually being used to implement the parallel
> > port. Go to www.micro-solutions.com and get their "testport.exe" utility.
>
> Is there still a point to doing this, even after getting the delay to
> change?

Definitely. If the port can be persuaded (over the dead body of the
BIOS) to work in EPP mode, you'll have much better success - including
being able to write at 2x.