[PARPORT] Linux 2.2.3 with two parallel ports

Lefty Giakoumatos (giakoul@netscape.net)
22 Mar 99 07:27:41 PST

I recently upgrade to linux kernel 2.2.3 from 2.0.33. I am trying to get my
connectix quickcam and my hp lj 4L to work on my linux box. Prior to
upgrading, I had my printer working ok on /dev/lp0, address 0x378 IRQ 7.

I added a second parallel port and set it up to address 0x278 IRQ 5. I
recompiled the kernel with parallel printer support. When my machine boots up
it detects parport0 and I can see /dev/par0. Also, /proc/dev/parport/0 shows
0x378 detected with IRQ=auto.

I was able to get my quickcam to work when I hooked it up to 0x378 but not
when I tried it on 0x278. My problem is that 0x278 DOES NOT get detected on
bootup. Also I cannot get my printer to work on either.

My questions are:

1. How can I get my printer to work again, this time using /dev/lp0 and/or
/dev/par0 (with parport0???)

2. How can I get my second parallel port to be detected, should I use a
different address other than 0x278, irq 5, like for example 0x2e8 irq 5??

3. I am slightly confused about /dev/lp0 and /dev/par0 configs.. Do I need
both of these character devices for it to work??

Thank You.

-Lefty