Re: [PARPORT] Backpack PD/CD

grant@torque.net
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:09:39 -0500 (EST)

> I'm trying to use my backpack PD/CD drive with Linux 2.2.3.. I compiled
> all the necessary parts into the kernel (not as modules, as builtins..)

I'd strongly recommend using modules until you see how everything fits
together.

> At bootup, it seems to detect my backup OK because it gives me this message:
>
> paride: bpck registered as protocol 0

That doesn't mean anything - just that the module was compiled into the
kernel. (It's there to report the protocol number - in case somebody
needs it.)

Where there no messages at all from pf or pcd ? (If not, something
wasn't built correctly.)

> However, when I try to do a 'mount /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrom', it gives me the
> following message:
>
> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/pcd0 as a block device
> (maybe `insmod driver'?)

If you use modules, you get a chance to enable some debugging that will
help us to help you.