Re: [PARPORT] installing RedHat 5.1 from backpack CDROM

grant@torque.net
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:18:23 -0500 (EST)

> It's RedHat 5.1, kernel 2.0.34

Ugh. The 5.0 bootdisk might work for you. You must replace it with
the genuine 5.1 floppy once the second stage installer loads.

> OK, I'm from a Slackware background (actually SLS originally.. ahh, the
> days or finding 50 or so floppy disks before CD installs came along...

(I started with MCC ;-) )

The current (?) Slackware doesn't work off the CD, but there is
a corrected boot floppy for PP IDE devices at ftp.cdrom.com.

> ... can I use a RedHat 5.2 bootdisk but still install from a RedHat 5.1
> CD?

No, that won't work.

> >> You can specify "verbose=1" to get more detailed output on the
> >> ALT-F4 screen.
>
> thanks - I'll try that...

It only works with the newer PARIDE drivers, the old driver on the
genuine RedHat boot disks does not take that argument.

> I'd be suprised though, the CDs are dated June '98 - surely the backpack
> driver had been around for a while then??

Indeed, but some wires got crossed at RedHat. They are still confused
about the backpacks ... SuSE and Slackware are OK in this regard.

> (ps. apologies for any bad text formatting... I'm forced to use Exchange
> here sadly so can't tell what it's doing to my messages...)

(You're not alone in that agony.)