Re: [PARPORT] Autoinsert of parport_pc and imm

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:36:23 +0100 (GMT)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, F Labrosse wrote:

> I have installed 2.2.5-tmw2 last night and have the following problem (I
> think it's not related to that particular version, but any way).

Ah, I forgot to mention this. Yes, it is to do with the version that
you're running.

Phil's port notification changes have altered the way low-level drivers
get loaded (yes, again). We can either put a post-install on parport to
get parport_pc to load (modutils-2.2.x has an 'above' rule for this), or
we can have the high-level drivers (lp etc.) doing a request_module for
parport_lowlevel.

I favour the post-install route myself; what do other people think?

The reason this comes about is that the way high-level drivers find out
about ports has changed. It used to go like this:

  struct parport *port = parport_enumerate ();
  while (port) {
    /* Do stuff with port */
    port = port->next;
  }

Instead of that, we now have attach() and detach() callbacks in the
high-level drivers. When a low-level driver comes along, it registers its
ports with the core parport code, and then 'announces' the ports. That's
when the high-level drivers' attach() happens.

The upshot is that you have to change conf.modules or the code. Or you
can just insmod parport_pc after lp has loaded and it will just work. I
should have put a note about this somewhere, but I didn't think.