[PARPORT] Re: Zip-100 access

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:19:47 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Stefan Ellerbrock wrote:

> Thereafter I load /sbin/insmod
> /lib/modules/2.2.6/misc/parport_pc.o io=0x3bc,0x378/0x278
> irq=none,7,auto

Does it really have three parallel ports?

> and get the following message init module: Device or resource busy

This means that parport_pc didn't find any ports at all. :-( Seems like a
bug in parport_pc in 2.2.6.

> In spite of this I still get the Device or resource busy message, which
> means I cannot access approximately twenty of my Zip-100
> diskettes full of data and utilities urgently needed by me in this
> remote land. These are all formatted ext2 so accessing the data on the
> disks is also not possible under windoze.

Yes, it's bad. 2.2.6-tmw6 will believe whatever you say when you specify
a base address on the insmod command line. Have you tried just 'insmod
parport_pc' (with 2.2.6-tmw6) to see if it finds any ports?

> /lib/modules/2.2.6/scsi/ppa.o : init_module : Device or resource busy

I imagine that ppa is running into the same types of problem as parport_pc
was; the port is presumably doing something unexpected.

> WARNING - no ppa compatible devices found.
> As of 31/Aug/1998 Iomega started shipping parallel
> port ZIP drives with a different interface which is
> supported by the imm (ZIP Plus) driver. If the
> cable is marked with "AutoDetect", this is what has
> happened.

Have you tried the imm driver?